Wednesday, October 21, 2009

TBG TV: FOX's Animation Domination – 10/18/2009


Sunday's Rankings (5-3-2-1 scoring)

(1) American Dad! ("Brains, Brains & Automobiles") - Best episode of the season, so far, with a steady stream of Roger-centric gags. But, it was the smaller moments (the fish bowl filled with vodka and "famous 10-day period") that won the night. By the way, this show doesn't lie: in college, I made the permanent switch from briefs to boxers and a social life soon followed. Take heed, dweebs!

(2) The Cleveland Show ("Birth of a Salesman") - Fine. I'm willing to concede that this show is growing on me. And, I'd admit it even without the Rickey Henderson reference in this week's episode. I'm not crazy about yet another closeted gay caricature on a Seth MacFarlane show, but this one isn't likely to be featured as much as "Stewie" or "Roger" on their respective programs.

(3) The Simpsons ("Treehouse of Horror XX") - Not a good sign when the two-minute opening sequence is the highlight of the entire episode. Simpsons traditionalists might not know this, but the last few Halloween "Treehouse" shows were pretty good. This time around, it all felt like familiar turf. And, don't tell me I needed to see "Dial 'M' for Murder" or "Sweeney Todd" or "28 Days Later…" in order to "get" it. I haven't seen 'em and I still "got" it. It just wasn't funny.

(4) Family Guy - Repeat. No points.


MVP - Rallo's emcee act during the "Don Rickels imitator" segment get him some lightly-read blog honors.

Quote of the Night (tie) - "And, now…introducing the girl who gets to third base faster than Rickey Henderson!", Rallo ("The Cleveland Show") and "Aw, Cleveland…you know I'm your Ryde or Die Bitch!", Donna ("The Cleveland Show")


Current Standings

The Simpsons – 15
The Cleveland Show – 12
American Dad – 11
Family Guy – 5

3 comments:

SHough610 said...

I liked the Simpsons TOH and I liked last years. I think that the quality of Animation Domination declines as the night goes on.

I didn't love this episode of the Cleveland Show, but I did get some solid laughs out of it. "He's from a different time".

Aaron C. said...

I thought this year's TOH (do people really abbreviate it?) was a case of trying to be too cute. The TOH stuff worked best when it was less "HEY, WE'RE DOING 'SWEENEY TODD' OVER HERE!"

Gimmie more stuff like their subtle, brilliant spoofs of "The Raven" and "The Monkey's Paw" and I'll be a happy That Bootleg Guy.

SHough610 said...

Totally agree. Hated the Sweeny Todd bit, it felt indulgent and gimmicky. But I really liked the first two segments and the opening. I also loved this exchange from treehouse of horror XIX:
Nelson: Touch me and I'll cut your friend.
The Grand Pumpkin: What do I care? That's a yellow pumpkin.
Nelson: You're a racist!
The Grand Pumpkin: All pumpkins are racist. The difference is that I admit it. (starts eating Nelson)
Nelson: I'd rather die than hate!

Can we agree that they will forever be chasing Treehouse of Horror V? I STILL quote this episode all the time. If you can find it you should pick up the talking Krusty doll. My best friend got it for me and it's amazing how many people know it.