Wednesday, October 14, 2009

TBG TV: FOX's Animation Domination – 10/11/2009


Sunday's Rankings (5-3-2-1 scoring)

(1) The Simpsons ("The Great Wife Hope") - Just as I realized that Marge's mixed martial arts dalliance was cribbed from the classic 1996 episode where Homer fights Drederick Tatum, who shows up but Drederick Tatum! They could've – and should've – had a LOT more fun at UFC's expense, but this was a solid 30 minutes.

(2) The Cleveland Show ("The One About Friends") - Loved the first act and the "finding Cleveland, Jr. a friend" bits. Things fell apart by the end, as I wasn't feeling any of the climactic over-the-top shootout. Second best quote of the night, "WE can dress as you all, but you all can't dress as US!"

(3) American Dad! ("Home Adrone") - I'm usually amused by the "Roger" character and his alien antics didn't disappoint. The way he gained access to booze on the airplane slayed me and just might've earned him MVP consideration. The primary story about a stolen drone and Steve's annoying schtick did nothing for me.

(4) Family Guy ("Spies Reminiscent of Us") - Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase guest voiced for a spoof of "Spies Like Us". Aykroyd seemed to be into it, but Chase read his lines – and he didn't have many – as if he were half-asleep. At what point do we stop saying this show is "suffering" from Seth MacFarlane getting spread too thin and actually declare it dead?


MVP - Roger's imitation of "American Dad!" patriarch Stan Smith – himself an amalgam of various caricatures – was pretty f'n awesome…right down to the lantern jaw.

Quote of the Night - "This is the first time I've ever hit a woman I didn't love.", Chett Englebrick ("The Simpsons")


Current Standings

The Simpsons – 13
The Cleveland Show – 9
American Dad – 6
Family Guy – 5

2 comments:

SHough610 said...

I usually watch Simpsons when I'm working out and actually laughed out loud several times during this episode. I loved Marge's training with the ribbon and punching Tatum's tattoos.

I also loved the part in the Cleveland show about "playing with Cleveland Jr."

Aaron C. said...

"I shouldn't talk to boys."