Saturday, January 10, 2009

2009 Playoff Pickery - AFC/NFC Divisional Round


Last Week:

Straight Up
Cam: 3-1
Tom: 1-3
Joe: 0-4

Against The Spread
Cam: 2-2
Tom: 1-3
Joe: 0-4

Over/Under
Cam: 2-2
Joe: 2-2
Tom: 0-4


Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans (-3)
Joe: My lack of respect for the now 12-5 Ravens has lost me many a game throughout this season. Why quit now? Pick: Tennessee 27, Baltimore 20

Aaron: Meanwhile, I believe I was the one who wrote words to the effect of "Tennessee is NOT a great team" earlier this year (check the archives!) I ignored the whole "rookie QB on the road" stuff last week with Matty Ice and got burned. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...ah, screw it. Pick: Baltimore 17, Tennessee 16



Arizona Cardinals at Carolina Panthers (-10)
Joe: Ten points is a lot to lay down in a divisional round game. Particularly for the shakiest of the four home teams this week. But consider that the Cardinals have lost on the road this season by 21, 28, and 40 points and that point spread starts to look positively modest. Yes, I realize Carolina only won by 4 when they met in October. Regardless. Pick: Carolina 34, Arizona 20

Aaron: So, was I wrong about Matt Ryan and the Falcons or wrong about Kurt Warner and the Cardinals last week? I'll say this much: that Arizona crowd was LOUD. I know people in 'Zona and they aren't a loud people. They're polite, old and white. They also won't be in North Carolina to save their team this week. Kudos to Joe for citing a Cards' loss to Brett Favre as a reason why the Panthers will cover. He just can't let go, readers. Pick: Carolina 22, Arizona 20



Philadelphia Eagles at NY Giants (-4)
Joe: The Giants wideouts are still a problem. But if the Eagles were real contenders, they'd have beaten Minnesota by more. That's college football logic, so you know it's sound. Pick: NY Giants 29, Philadelphia 17

Aaron: Last week, I was the only guy in America who picked the Chargers outright over Indy. I had the benefit of seeing San Diego all season and knew that their QB was pretty damn good and LDT was far from their only weapon. This week, everyone I know from NYC is spooked(!) by this Eagles team. Do you guys know something I don't about the Giants or did you not notice that Philly needed three quarters to finish off Quincy Carter Tarvaris Jackson last week? Pick: NY Giants 38, Philadelphia 17



San Diego Chargers at Pittsburgh Steelers (-6)
Joe: So. 0-4 last week. Not a proud day for yours truly. My downfall, besides picking four teams who ended up losing, was that I picked the four teams I wanted to win. That freakin' NEVER works. I should have known better. This week, I'm really liking the Chargers -- I like Sproles, I like Babyface Rivers, and I like how they're the only team still alive in the AFC who don't have to rely on winning ugly defensive struggles. I think Pittsburgh is deeply flawed on offense, and their last meeting was pretty much a toss-up. And that was before the Chargers had all the momentum. I love the Chargers here. Not falling for that shit again. (Though I'll take them to cover.) Pick: Pittsburgh 22, San Diego 21

Aaron: This was gonna be my still-unsponsored lock of the week AND still-unsponsored upset of the week. Then, *everyone* got on the Chargers' bandwagon. People...that was NOT a good (or well-coached) Colts team that San Diego beat. That's not why they're going to beat Pittsburgh. Here's why: Ben Roethlisberger's concussion from two weeks ago was so quickly and ridiculously dismissed by everyone that I have to believe some sort of wishcasting reverse ju-ju is in place. Oh, and the Chargers have a better offense. But, it's mostly the ju-ju thing. Pick: San Diego 17, Pittsburgh 12

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giant fans are never confident against divisional teams. That's really all it is.

Joe Reid said...

The road to 0-6 is pretty awesome. I am the Detroit Lions of playoff picking.

Aaron C. said...

Joe, I prefer to think of you as the chubby girlfriend of picking whom I hang around to make my picks look better.

All kidding aside, if you want to fake your death in the next week to avoid going 0-11, I'm on board.

Perhaps you could "die" during a midnight screening of "Notorious"?

Joe Reid said...

Honestly, I'm kind of pulling for 0-11 at this point. Infamy isn't all that bad. I'm also pulling for a Ravens-Cardinals Super Bowl that will have fans everywhere clamoring for a BCS-type bowl system for pro football.

Anonymous said...

Is my 0fer on Over/Unders as bad as an 0fer on picking winners?

Also, gonna hope he's got one right

Aaron C. said...

Joe's dream postseason continues... Yes, you can, Reid. Yes, you can.

(Also, those were some damn fine 4th down calls by Coughlin. I picked the wrong day to go all in with a two-team teaser.)

Joe Reid said...

Seriously, I think we can make this happen. Of course, now I have to choose which streak I want to continue, winless against the spread or winless straight up. I'm pulling for winless straight up just so the final four teams can include three that didn't make double digit wins in the regular season.

And, uh...sorry, Tom. Streak aside, I WAS rooting for the Giants.

Anonymous said...

And that's why we're never confident against divisional teams.