Saturday, January 17, 2009

2009 AFC/NFC Championship Weekend Pickin'


Last Week (Total):

Straight Up
Cam: 1-3 (4-4)
Tom: 2-2 (3-5)
Joe: 1-3 (1-7)

Against the Spread

Cam: 2-2 (4-4)
Tom: 3-1 (4-4)
Joe: 0-4 (0-8)


Philadelphia Eagles (-4) at Arizona Cardinals

Joe: Here we are. 0-11 on the line. And yet, for the life of me, I can't tell whether my instincts are guiding me to pick a winner (and salvage some pride) or pick a loser (and keep the streak alive). And on top of that, whether my instincts -- which have served me so crappily the past two weeks -- should even be listened to in the first place. Anyhoo, Arizona is the home underdog, has the benefit of the best player on the field (Larry Fitz), and yet still seems like the most unlikely choice. Works for me. Pick: Arizona 31, Philadelphia 27

Aaron: The Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl. There. The sooner we put it out there, the sooner we'll all accept it. This also means accepting two weeks of stories on the "long suffering" Cards fans who started showing up two years ago with the opening of a new stadium. The Cardinals. In the Super Bowl. And...wait. Joe's pickin' 'Zona? I recant. Pick: Philadelphia 17, Arizona 14



Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers (-6)
Joe: I don't care how many points the Steelers put up on the fairly crappy Chargers D last week, six points seems a little high against the Ravens D, right? Pick: Pittsburgh 14, Baltimore 10

Aaron: Looks like I'm going to have to talk myself into picking the Ravens, since Reid's reverse ju-ju once again plants the kiss of death on my original pick. That aging Ravens defense HAS to know that this is the last hurrah, right? Hunger still counts for something. The Ravens have already lost twice to the Steelers and, sooner or later, they'll have to figure Pittsburgh out. Finally, Ravens' QB Joe Flacco may be a rookie, but he sure doesn't play like one! Convinced? Me, neither. Pick: Pittsburgh 17, Baltimore 16

3 comments:

Joe Reid said...

You know, not to be ignored in my chasing of dubious history is the fact that Cam is in the lead with a decidedly unspectacular .500 record. Making him -- that's right -- the San Diego Chargers of playoff pickery.

Aaron C. said...

Even the San Diego Chargers have earned the right to ignore pithy barbs from the Detroit Lions.

Zing!

Anonymous said...

Please don't fight, guys. Can't we agree that you both suck at picks and leave it at that?