Sunday, October 12, 2008

TBG Eats: Taco Bell's NEW Triple Steak Burrito


Current Weight: 163.4 lbs.

OK, OK…the crazy weight loss thing is getting a little creepy. And, after several years of waiting, it appears that the majority of Mrs. Bootleg's friends are happily married and not looking to trade up…so who've I gotta look good for?

I'd actually made a point of avoiding this new menu item in the days since it debuted. It had nothing to do with an aversion to fast food, though. I just can't remember the last time I ordered anything steak-related from Taco Bell and thought, "Mmmmm, steaky!" So, to hedge my bet, I also got a Volcano Taco – which has already established its awesomeness.

A good burrito should have the weight and soft, supple texture of a newborn baby. The Triple Steak Burrito isn't as densely packed as those carne asada pipe bombs you can buy at 3:00 AM from that un-mopped authentic Mexican spot on the corner, but it's plenty heavy.

True to form, there's three times the strangely sweet steak in there. Taco Bell also found room for cheddar cheese, rice, salsa and…reduced-fat sour cream?

Y'know how those fast food burritos are usually made with pre-measured servings of ingredients, so that, say, the teeny bit of guacamole is at the very front or the very back of the burrito? Well, I wasn't expecting sour cream (which I like) and I damn sure wasn't expecting reduced-fat sour cream (which I don't like) and it…was…everywhere.

Whatever low calorie benefits I might've enjoyed were completely negated by the pint-and-a-half of curdled moo goo the steak was swimming in. Order yours without the sour cream and you'll have a perfectly edible "eh" in your hands.

Grade: 2 (out of 5)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried the triple steak burrito. Was not impressed. It was definitely pretty big and stuffed, but the meat tasted very strange. I've tasted boiled steak before and this steak has definitely been boiled and then possibly grilled or flavored in someway afterwards. I kept trying a few times because the taste was sort of interesting but unless you covered it in hot sauce, you quickly realize the steak has no real flavor and the whole thing makes you feel full in an unsatisfying way.