Monday, June 1, 2009

Proposition? What Proposition?


I seem to be experiencing a small – but, very much appreciated – uptick in new readers lately. To that end, I received a handful of emails from people asking me what I thought about last week's California Supreme Court decision upholding Proposition 8.

Well, seeing as how I carry about as much credibility on the subject as Miss California – and, really, you can probably infer my feelings just from reading
what I've already written – I'd prefer to point y'all to better writers than me.

There were three pieces that stuck out. The first is
the legal assessment of the court's ruling. This is a dense, but surprisingly nuanced review that keeps the emotional arguments in the background. The second, from San Francisco Chronicle columnist Mark Morford, brings the emotion to the forefront. Finally, in the interest of equal time, is a post from – of all places – SI.com writer Jeff Pearlman's personal blog.

3 comments:

SHough610 said...

Off topic of gay marriage, on topic of Jeff Pearlman: I don't know if you've read any of Pearlman's books, but I read "Boys Will Be Boys" and "Love Me, Hate Me" and loved them.

"Love Me, Hate Me" did a great job of showing why Barry Bonds is the way he is.

"Boys Will Be Boys" is great as well. If that Cowboys team played in this type of media culture I think reporters would follow them around like the disciples followed Jesus (or the Disciple followed Hogan).

Also, you should check out Bret Hart's book if you haven't. The definitive wrestling memoir.

Anonymous said...

Pearlman's neurotic insecurity on his blog drives me up the wall. I loved his books, but he's unreadable when he's writing about himself.

Aaron C. said...

Click on the "reading" link on the far right, Mr. Hough. I ordered the "Hitman" book from Amazon.ca and did the review awhile back.

LOVED Pearlman's Barry Bonds book. Really, if you can find it, give it a read, people. I thought his Cowboys book was a bit thin and repetitive, but readable.

I'm currently working on his Clemens book and this one's a little harder to get thru. There's really not much "there" with Clemens - he's a douchebag jock, what a rarity! - and Pearlman really reaches at times.