Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"What kind of grown-ass man calls himself 'Puffy'?"


I admit it: I'm kind of digging the trailer for the Biggie Smalls biopic Notorious.





Knee-Jerk Positive: With cooperation from Bad Boy Records and B.I.G.'s estate, the movie will be able to use actual songs from Biggie's catalog.

Knee-Jerk Negative: The song that gets the most play in the trailer is "Notorious", from Biggie's pedestrian posthumous release Born Again. It's arguably his worst and least respected commercial single.

Knee-Jerk Positive: Former Academy Award nominee Angela Bassett – as Biggie's mom, Voletta Wallace – adds credibility to an otherwise anonymous cast. (Sorry, Derek Luke.)

Knee-Jerk Negative: I can still smell the stench of Mr. 3000 from Ms. Bassett whenever she's onscreen.

Knee-Jerk Positive: Antonique Smith is a spot-on dead ringer for Faith Evans. Considering Smith's last two roles in anything were as a hooker in Across the Universe and a manipulative whore who beds her lawyer in an episode of Law & Order, I'd suggest the real Faith Evans watch her back lest Smith attempts to murder her and steal her life.

Knee-Jerk Negative: Anthony Mackie as Tupac Shakur…the polar opposite of "dead ringer". The real Tupac is surely rolling over in his continued seclusion.

Knee-Jerk Positive: Lil' Kim is unhappy with her portrayal in the film.

Knee-Jerk Negative: I sat here for 30 minutes trying to think of a Lil' Kim joke before realizing I used them all during my Friday Music News Bootleg days.

No comments: