Sunday, January 13, 2008

Flipping Thru: ESPN – The Magazine (January 14, 2008 Issue)


About a year ago, I paid $9.00 for a four-year subscription to ESPN – The Magazine. And, even at $2.25/year, I wonder what the hell I was thinking. Much like the ubiquitous sports network, the magazine is so insufferably full of itself that I now understand what it must be like for you people to read me.

These days, the magazine serves as a time killer whenever I'm on bath duty for the boy. The trying-too-hard-to-be-hip journalism is instant comic relief, while the beach towel-sized pages make for a sweet shield whenever Jalen tries to surprise me with a bathwater splash or two.

That said, once in awhile, ESPN makes my minimal investment worth the effort. Here's a snippet from this week's cover story on Miami Heat superstar Dwyane Wade:

So (Dwyane) Wade has looked into acting classes and clothing design. He enlarges his vocabulary, one word a week. "Immaculate was one," he says. "Cohorts. Lethargic. As in, 'I've been busy trying to get this lethargic team back on track.'" He laughs.

He's not the only one.

No comments: