Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TBG Eats: Taco Bell's NEW 89-cent Chicken Burrito


Current Weight: 168.2 lbs.

One of the unspoken joys of eating so much fast food is the occasional surprisingly delicious menu item. For example, when Taco Bell introduced the Volcano Taco, I predicted "gimmicky" – red shell, supposedly spicy sauce – and ended up with glorious.

Unfortunately, TB continues to jerk customers around with their "here today, gone tomorrow" approach to menu construction. The Volcano Taco disappeared earlier this year and, a few days ago, I discovered that TB invoked their "for a limited time only" clause on its excellent 89-cent five-layer nachos.

In its place on the Value Menu were two "new" entries. However, I'm calling for an immediate bullsh*t review on what TB is referring to as their "new" chicken soft taco. They've had this on their menu for at least 20 years. The "new" appellation is more like a loophole, as TB has changed their chicken provider, the preparation method or both. Boo.

The other bit of "new-ness" on the 89-cent side is a grilled chicken burrito. Stuffed with a small, but decent amount of chicken, cheddar cheese and seasoned rice, the real kicker is the avocado-ranch sauce that's drizzled atop the other ingredients. Don't ask me how this teal-colored concoction carries the burrito's other uninspired innards, but it does! Tangy and creamy – while tasting nothing like either ranch dressing or avocado – it's one of the more unique flavors from a chain that's built an empire on its familiar faux Mexican products.

I've got no clue how long this'll be around, so get it while you can, kids. At less than a buck, you really can't go wrong, but TB could easily fatten these up with more superfluous filler (lettuce, tomato…ditch the rice) and double the amount of sauce for another dollar or so.

Boy, does that bachelor's degree in marketing come in handy sometimes, or what?

Grade: 4.5 (out of 5)

3 comments:

that mexican guy said...

I appreciate your shoutout to Cinco de Mayo with a review of...Taco Bell.

Way to bring the blacks and the browns together, Cam.

Aaron C. said...

HA! In all seriousness, though, I love Mexico. I'm fairly certain my next wife will be Hispanic. Oh, and the current Mrs. Bootleg bought me a "Mexico" World Baseball Classic t-shirt for my birthday.

If that doesn't scream "tolerance", I don't know what does.

PukOrNoPuk said...

I just ate the Chicken Burrito and the Ranch Avacado Dressing really compliments the chicken and the seasoned rice has a nice smokey flavor to it. Unless my taco bell burnt there rice and tried to sell it still.

Price: No Puk
Taste: No Puk
Appereance: No Puk