Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Wednesday Music News Bootleg


I've got this friend…known him for more than 20 years. We went to the same junior high school and high school. We played some sandlot baseball together. We were in each other's weddings. I'm Black, he's white. I'm a liberal moderate living in California, while he moved to Arizona for the liberal gun laws and Sonic restaurants. And, until now, I had no idea that he…well, let's turn this over to "JPinAZ":

"OK Cam, I'm looking for some music & am coming to you. Anyways, in order to give you where my tastes lie in the area of hip-hop/rap/whatever the kid's are calling now here's what I've picked up in the last year or so from Emusic.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English
Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision
DJ Shadow - The Outsider
K'Naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Lyrics Born - Everywhere At Once
J Dilla - Ruff Draft
J Dilla - The Shining
The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction
Mick Boogie/Busta Rhymes - Dillagence
Mistah FAB - All Star Season
Dizzee Rascal - Bon in da Corner
Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocktetships Going UP
J Dilla - Jay Deelicious 95-98 The Delicious Vinyl Years
J Dilla - Welcome 2 Detroit
Latyrix - The Album
Lyrics Born - Later That Day
The Mighty Underdogs - The Prelude EP
Prince Paul - Psychoanalysis
Raphael Saadiq - All Hits At The House of Blues
Santogold - Santogold
V/A - SoleSides Greatest Bumps
DJ Danger Mouse/Jay-Z - The Grey Album
Kid Koala - Some of My Best Friends Are DJs
RJD2 - Deadringer
RJD2 - Since We Last Spoke
DJ Cam - Liquid Hip Hop

Some albums I have on my want list:
Molemen - Killing Fields
Del the Funky Homosapien - Future Development
Madvillan - Madvillany
Souls of Mischief - Trilogy: Conflict, Climax, Resolution
Anything by Eric B & Rakim

A few other artists I like are J5, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Anthony Hamilton, Dan the Automator, Blackalicious, & Bomb the Bass.

I'm probably the last person you expected an email like this from, but there you have it.


My initial reaction? Guh-WHA?! After hauling my jaw off the floor, I started to really look at his list. J Dilla…Deltron 3030…The Grey Album…these artists and albums sounded familiar. Truth be told, I've heard and/or own many of the above, but there was another common bond between lots of them.

So, I've got this other friend…known him for about five years. We wrote together at 411mania, then Inside Pulse. We argued music and politics and racial sociology over IM and this was before I finally met him while on a business trip to Las Vegas a few years ago. He also introduced me to much of the above music through his long-running column.

Y'all remember Mathan, right? Let's see, there was Comic Book Mathan and TV Mathan and Moodspins Mathan and…Music Mathan. Speaking of whom, there was NO ONE more qualified to respond:

Here are some albums I think your friend might like.

You dig J Dilla, check out:
Slum Village – Fantastic Vol 2
Jaylib – Champion Sound
J Dilla - Donuts

You dig Prince Paul & Dan the Automator, check out:
Handsome Boy Modeling School – So, How's Your Girl?
Handsome Boy Modeling School – White People

You dig Deltron 3030, check out:
Prince Paul – A Prince Among Thieves
Prince Paul – Politics of the Business
Janelle Monae – The Metropolis Suite
Masta Ace – Disposable Arts

You dig Dizzee Rascal, try:
Something by The Streets. It's not grime, but it's good.

You dig The Grey Album, try:
Nas + 9th Wonder – God's Stepson

You dig ATCQ & De La Soul, try:
Little Brother – The Listening
Little Brother – The Minstrel Show
Anything by The Roots
De La Soul – The Grind Date

You dig Welcome 2 Detroit, try:
Pete Rock – Petesrtumentals
Marley Marl – Re-Entry
King Britt – Adventures in Lo-fi
DJ Jazzy Jeff – The Magnificent
DJ Spinna – From Here to There
Will I Am – Lost Change
(Those were the other "Beat Generation Albums)
DJ Jazzy Jeff – Return of the Magnificent

Other random good stuff you might like:
Murs – Murs 3:16
Murs – Murray's Revenge
Dangerdoom – The Mouse & The Mask
Jean Grae – Jeanius
Quasimoto – The Unseen
Quasimoto – The Further Adventures of Lord Quas
Talib Kweli – Liberation
Mos Def – The New Danger

Also, I'm of the notion that Souls of Mischief peaked with their debut, so I'd avoid Trilogy.


= = =


I'd like to thank m'man Math and my other, uh, m'man JP for the phenomenal bit of blog fodder. And, for those of you who keep axing, yes, I've got designs on doing more music things in the very near future.

Stay by your inbox, Mathan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron/Mathan, I've been up and down this list twice but don't see "Vaudeville Villain" anywhere. Please tell me this was just a harmless oversight? THat album is mindblowing.

acctg.sean said...

WOW! I'm going to have to add some more to this list, but all I got this early is Optimus Rhyme's self-titled album from six(?) years ago. It's out there, but it's good.

Stupid business trips that require me to actually work *grumble*

JPinAZ said...

Thanks for the recommendations Mathan. I actually have the two Handsome Boy Modeling School albums & J Dilla's Donuts so that's three off your list already.

If you ever want some downtempo, psybient, or chillout recommendations let me know. Or maybe I'll just send a CD of stuff to Aaron & make him review it for the blog.

mathan said...

First off, in terms of complete disclosure Jeff F. that both Bootleg and I know put me down a few of those albums myself, so I'm just spreading the gospel.

@ Anom - I've yet to fully commit to Doom. I dig his collaborations and what he's produced for others. But there's something that keeps me at bay. I can't explain it.

@ JPinAZ - I will definitely look to you on that day. But in the meantime, being that I'm in Baltimore, I'd settle for some of that AZ weather/sunshine right about now.